- Cape Times chief photographer/editor (2008 – present)
- Die Burger contract photographer based in Cape Town (2008)
- The Times, Times Live and Sunday Times freelance photographer and multimedia producer based in Cape Town (2006 – 2007)
- Chicago Tribune photographer in the USA (2000 – 2006)
- Associated Press photographer for Cricket World Cup, South Africa (2003)
- Sunday Times photographer based in Johannesburg (1999 – 2000)
- Sunday Times photographer based in Durban (1996 – 1999)
- Freelance photographer at The Star based in Johannesburg (1995 – 1996)
- Assistant at the Nic Nolton Studio in Johannesburg (1994 – 1995)
- Video editor at TAT Studio in London (1992 – 1994)
Michael currently manages the Cape Times photographic department including assigning photographers, editing and sourcing photographs and meetings with editors to discuss production.
In addition to being a highly competent and skilled photographer, he has the management and people skills required to run the department and ensure the highest quality material is produced within the tight deadlines faced in the news industry.
Having worked using video and film and then moving into the digital arena, he has experience with different methods of taking photographs and has crafted his own working style and techniques. He is adept at creating multimedia projects, using digital cameras, video editing software and sound.